Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Even Keel

The Beer Stats:

  • Beer Name: Even Keel
  • Brewery: Ballest Point (California)
  • Style: Session IPA
  • ABV: 3.8%
  • IBU: 40
  • Pour Color: Dark golden color maybe even a bronze that allowed light thru.




      The face poured this one and the smell hit me quick. A nice citrus grassy scent off the top. The head was two fingers high to begin with and disappeared rapidly. The color in the glass was a bronze shade that allowed light thru. I imagine some kind of caramel malt is used to get that shade in a session ipa. It also had a nice little bit of hop haze to it. The flavor gives you a slight sweet taste of malts that coincides with a bitter almost tangerine, orange, grapefruit flavor. This beer is able to pack a punch that most session ales can't. A good beer to have a few when you can't get smashed. 
      I went to a tap take over from Ballest Point at the basin pub in my area of New York. They had alot of big beers but I had to drive home and I live a half hour away at the very least. This was the beer that got me through. Full of flavor and a real low ABV. Up till that night i didn't give many sessions a chance cause they were just so laid back. This one actually packs the flavor IPA drinkers are looking for
Rating: ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment